Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup

SOOOOO many of the recipes that the "old me" - the ice cream eating, sour cream dolloping, cheese munching, milk shake slurping me - used to make called for "cream of" something soup. I have stayed away from those for the past 6 months because... well because store bought "cream of" soup had MILK products in it. I wasn't ready to take on the daunting task of making my OWN "cream of" soup. Today, I did just that.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Gluten Free Dairy Free Recipes

The Line Up
1 TBSP Olive Oil
8 oz fresh mushrooms, diced
1/3 c onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 c potato starch
2 c chicken broth
1 can full fat coconut milk (Cream only - do not shake - you'll need just the thick semi-solid cream)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

The Game Plan
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the mushrooms, onion and garlic, cooking for about 5 minutes or until softened. Dump the potato starch over the cooked veggies and stir until well combined. Add the chicken broth and the coconut cream from the can of coconut milk... ONLY THE CREAM. There will be approximately one cup of cream, maybe a little more. Whisk it all together. Increase heat a little and bring to a small boil, whisking often, until it starts to thicken, approximately 10 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I slightly altered this as I was making it. I used pure/virgin/unprocessed coconut oil instead of olive oil, I used corn starch instead of potato starch (as we aren't avoiding gluten) and I used home made chicken stock instead of broth.
The last change, I will only take partial responsibility for. The original recipe simply stated "1 can full fat coconut milk - divided." To me, when a recipe lists an ingredient as "divided" that means "you'll need 1 cup total, but will use 1/2 a cup here and 1/2 a cup for another step later." So, as I gathered up my ingredients, I gave my coconut milk can a good shake. Then I read the instructions where it said "only the cream" -- so I poured the whole can in.

Commercial Break
I found a new use for my Pampered Chef Mix 'n Chop. "Dicing" the mushrooms went MUCH faster this way!!

The Final Score
The Rookie - ate an entire ramekin full
Coach - I had a few spoons full and it had a slight coconut flavor (most likely from the coconut oil, rather than the coconut milk) but it was very good. I can't wait to use it in my stuffed pork chops later this week!!

Catcher and The All Star haven't had this - All Star would hate it solo

***Edited 11/19/2013 to add that I used it in the stuffed pork chops mentioned above and it was DELICIOUS!!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template