Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Spicy Caramelized Pork

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new pork recipes. Seriously, if you have one you'd like to see us try and share - send it to me! I ran across this one on Pinterest and HAD to try it. I mean what's not to like?? Pork, brown sugar and spice!

This recipe was originally named Sweet Caramelized Pork, but I changed it to spicy to remind myself that it is, in fact, spicy! :)




Spicy Caramelized Pork
Picture the Recipe

The Line Up
1 1/2 lbs boneless pork rib meat
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne (or paprika for less heat) - or to taste
1 tsp ground ginger powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 medium onion
2 TBSP oil
1 green onion (for garnish)


Game Plan
Pre-heat oven to 375°.
Then start by mixing together the brown sugar, cayenne, ginger powder, black pepper and salt.
Spoon half of the dry rub onto the pork ribs on all sides and rub it into the meat well. Save the other 1/2 of the rub for later.
Heat oven proof pan on high and add about a TBSP of oil.
Sear the pork ribs to brown on all sides, then place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Turn the pork about 1/2 way through the cooking time.
Take the pan out and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop onion into large diced pieces.
Once the meat has rested, slice into thin slices.
Heat 1 TBSP oil in wok or frying pan on medium-high and saute onion for about 2 minutes.
Add sliced pork and toss it well with the onion.
Add the remaining brown sugar/spice mix and stir it in with the pork.
Keep stirring the pork around in the sauce until it becomes sticky.



Coach's Post Game Conference
I realized as I started cooking this that I didn't have "cayenne" pepper, rather just "red pepper" so I used that. I also doubled the meat, as I've got two hungry players on this team! Oh... I also just rolled the pork in the brown sugar/spice mixture, instead of rubbing.  Aside from that, I followed the instructions as they are written above. I served it on mini-pretzel rolls and made the "Sweet and Tangy Apple Slaw" that Noreen mentions on Picture The Recipe to serve on top.

Final Score
Coach -  Triple
Catcher - Triple
The All-Star - Triple
The Rookie - Didn't taste it - you see -- apparently she is still on a Halloween Candy only diet.

We all agreed that this was a LITTLE spicy for our tastes, but that the flavor was REALLY good, and a definite recipe up for replay - with a little less spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template