Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken & Garlic Noodles

Have I mentioned my new found love of all foods Asian inspired? I think it's partially because of the power-kick duo of no dairy and much flavor. Tonight's new recipe was compliments of Pinterest.

Teriyaki Chicken

The Line Up
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP water
1/3 c soy sauce
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp ground pepper

The Game Plan
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil then add the pieces of chicken.
In a small sauce pan, whisk together corn starch and water until smooth, then add the rest of the ingredients.
Whisk until combined, then simmer until thickened. Make sure to stir every few seconds to keep from burning.
Once the sauce has thickened, pour into the pan with chicken and mix to coat. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes


Garlic Noodles
Also from Imperrfections

The Line Up
1 box of angel hair spaghetti, cooked and drained
5 TBSP butter
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c green onions, chopped
2 1/2 TBSP fish sauce
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP brown sugar

Game Plan
Heat a large sauce pan and melt 2 TBSP of butter. Saute garlic and green onion for about 3 minutes, then add fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and the remaining butter. Make sure the sugar is dissolved before adding the cooked spaghetti and toss it all together.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I used 4 chicken thighs and 1 chicken breast (because that's what I had thawed). When it says to "watch the sauce" -- it MEANS it... I was stirring and stirring and walked away for 10 seconds and the sauce was SUPER thick... a few more seconds and it would have been trash. 
The other day - the Owner (my mom) and I were out and about and we stopped at the mall food court for lunch. The Chinese place looked good. We both got chicken and mushrooms with Lo Mein noodles. We both left 1/2 our noodles on our plates and nearly ran out of the food court in search of ANYTHING to take the FISH taste out of our mouths. There was WAY too much fish sauce on the noodles. When I realized that the noodles tonight had more fish sauce than anything else in the recipe (except maybe garlic) I panicked.  I made it "as is" and when I could SMELL the fish sauce, I added more soy sauce to try to tame down the fish scent/flavor. The noodles ended up being too salty. Next time, (and there WILL be a next time, because the chicken was DELICIOUS) I will only put 1-1 1/2 TBSP of fish sauce and only the noted 2 TBSP (I probably ended up with 4 tonight). Also - I used dairy free margarine instead of butter.

Final Score
Coach - run down between 2nd and 3rd
Catcher - double
The All Star - run down between 3rd and home
The Rookie - decided that the pasta was a MUCH better wall paper, carpet and hair treatment than food

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template