Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dairy Free Puppy Chow

I admit it - I NEED chocolate. I NEED sugar... I live on them. Somedays, quite literally, they are all I survive on. Tonight as I was discussing blogging this I had a conversation with a friend (Coach of the Rowley Clones) regarding whether or not this was a "food" or a "sugar snack." I guess that all depends on your household. In MINE (at least for ME) it has been breakfast more than once this week. Regardless of if you consider it a meal or a snack - it's DELICIOUS and definitely answers the call of the sweet cravings!


Puppy Chow
PETA (really?? Peta?? I found it on Pinterest)

The Line Up
1 c semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1/4 c vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
9 cups rice cereal squares
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c powdered sugar (I used WAY more)

The Game Plan
Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and margarine in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 1 minute, or until melted. Add vanilla
Place the cereal squares in a large container and pour in the chocolate mixture. Stir gently until all the squares are coated.
Add the powdered sugar to the container and seal with a lid. Shake gently until the sugar has coated all the squares.
Place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate hardens. Once solidified, store in the refrigerator.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I bought a box of Rice Chex - it was 13 cups(ish). So I made an extra 1/2 recipe. When discussing this with the Owner later, she said that when she made puppy chow YEARS ago she dumped it in a trash bag, gave it a couple twists and shook it that way. I had tried in a gallon zipper storage bag, but it wasn't quite big enough. Will definitely pull out a (clean) trash bag next time.
I did NOT put it in the freezer OR store it in the refrigerator and it was FINE

Final Score
Coach - Home Run
Catcher - Home Run (he ate more of this than any other sweet in quite some time!)
The All-Star - Home Run
The Rookie - Home Run
Owners - Home Run

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template