Monday, February 28, 2011

Doughnut French Toast with Strawberry Sauce

I saw Nigella Lawson make this the other day and couldn't stop thinking about it until I made it.

Doughnut French Toast
Food Network
The Line Up:
2 eggs
1/2 c full fat milk
4 tsp vanilla extract
4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each slice cut in half
1 oz butter, plus a drop of flavorless oil for frying
1/4 c sugar

The Game Plan
Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
Soak the bread halves in the egg mixture for 5 minutes a side.
Heat the butter and oil in frying pan/skillet. Fry the egg soaked bread until golden brown and scorched in parts on both sides.
Put the sugar onto a plate and then dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut

Strawberry Syrup
The Line Up & Game Plan at once:
Place a handful of strawberries in a blender. Add powdered sugar to taste (1/4 c or less depending on how sweet your strawberries are.)
Add a little squeeze of fresh lemon and blend.


Coach's Post Game Conference
Well - I think I managed to do something wrong again - this recipe wasn't quite what I expected. I used Italian bread (was looking for Challah bread - but I think I picked the wrong day to do that... will have to make it to our neighborhood bakery one Friday soon).
I soaked the bread as it said and cooked it as instructed. It LOOKED ok - but it was like liquid bread on the inside... and maybe I didn't get enough sugar on them (HELLO - it's HOT when you take it out of the skillet so when you put in on the plate of sugar it begins to melt the sugar!) and it didn't taste as much like a doughnut as I had anticipated. Will have to play with this a bit
Also - ended up using more eggs and milk than it calls for - I originally doubled the recipe as I was making for 3 people and then had to add another egg and a bit of milk for the last 2 slices.
As for the sauce - I used frozen strawberries... next time I'll let them thaw before trying to make it! We all really loved the flavor though! It will definitely be an addition to our french toast meals when I make them.

The Final Score
French Toast
Coach -  Double
Catcher - Double
The All-Star - Triple

Strawberry sauce
Coach - Home Run
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template