Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Turkey & Mushroom Soup

After making the Garlic Roasted Chicken with Gravy, I had some chicken left over. I've been dying to try this soup and decided we wouldn't notice a difference between turkey and chicken in this recipe.


Turkey & Mushroom Soup
Better Homes & Gardens One Dish Dinners 2001
The Line Up
2 c sliced fresh mushrooms (crimini, shitake, porcini or button)
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 TBSP margarine (use dairy free alternative for dairy free)
1 TBSP chicken bouillon granules
1/2 c dried orzo pasta
2 TBSP snipped fresh parsley
1 tsp snipped fresh thyme

The Game Plan
In a large saucepan cook mushrooms, celery, carrot and onion in hot margarine until crisp-tender. Add 4 1/2 c water, bouillon granules and 1/8 tsp pepper.
Bring to boiling, stir in orzo. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes or until orzo is tender but still firm. Stir in turkey. parsley and thyme; heat.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I bet you'll NEVER guess one of the changes I made when I was making this....If you guessed doubling the liquid, you'd be right! :) Also, I splashed in some white wine!
Also I'll save you the research time... 1 TBSP bouillon granuels - 3 cubes.
Loved this recipe. I used crimini (aka baby bellas) and shitaki mushrooms. I don't know that I've used shitaki mushrooms before, but I doubt I will use them in this recipe again. Only because I found the texture to be odd (once I sliced them... I don't know they felt a little "slimey" and just threw me off every time I found one in my soup)
Also - we had left overs, so I tossed what was left into a bowl and threw them in the fridge for lunch the next day. I was glad to know that I had some beef broth/stock left over because when I opened up the bowl I found NO "soup" it was more of a casserole, the orzo had absorbed 3/4 of the remaining liquid overnight! no problem, i just threw some extra broth on top when I threw it in the microwave!

Final Score
Coach -  Home Run
Catcher - Triple - wasn't dense enough - thinks it needed more meat or pasta, or even suggested adding chunked up cooked potatoes
The All-Star - Double - just didn't like it much

***Edited - Please see label disclaimer in "True Confessions" - 11/7/2013***

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template