Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pork Chops in Creamy Champagne Sauce with Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I must thank my friend for sharing this recipe with me when I was trying to fill out my pork recipes.

Pork Chops in Creamy Champagne Sauce with Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
http://www.foodnetwork.com/
The Line Up
4 medium red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
4 peeled garlic cloves
1/2 c sour cream
3 TBSP fresnly chopped parsley
salt & pepper
1 TBSP olive oil
6 pork loin chops (5 oz each)
1/4 c chopped shallots
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 c sparkling wine or dry champagne
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 c milk

The Game Plan
Place potatoes and garlic in a medium sauce pan and pour over enough water to cover. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. cook 8 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add sour cream and mash until almost smooth (or lumpy if desired). Stir in parsley and season, to taste with salt and black pepper.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper and add to hot pan. Cook 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove pork from pan and set aside. To same pan, add shallots and cook 2 minutes, until soft. Add thyme and tarragon and cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Add sparkling wine and cook 1 minute. Whisk flour into milk and add to pan. Return pork to pan and simmer 3-5 minutes, until pork is cooked through and sauce thickens. Serve pork chops with the sauce and mashed potatoes.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I don't drink wine and I don't pretend to know anything about it. So yesterday when I went into the liquor store to get "sparkling wine" or champagne for this recipe I asked the clerk to help me find something. He found one bottle and then put it down and handed me a different bottle saying that it was "cheaper" so it would be "better" for cooking. (I know I know I know... 'Don't cook with something you wouldn't drink'... but since I don't drink wine that leaves my cooking wine selection quite limited, don't ya think!?). So I took the bottle he handed me. I noticed it said it was Marsala and asked him to confirm that Marsala is "sparkling wine" his response was "Well yes, it must be... it is in the sparkling wine section, isn't it?"
When I talked to my friend who shared the recipe, she mentioned that she has used white wine with a splash of Marsala. So I took that and used 3/4 c of white wine with 1/4 c marsala. I also added mushrooms. (There are 3 things I try to work into a recipe any time I think they will work... wine, garlic and mushrooms.)

Final Score
Coach - Home Run
Catcher -  Home Run
The All-Star - triple - he didn't care much for the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template