Monday, October 18, 2010

Tres Leches Cake

Catcher is Dominican and one of their favorite desserts is a Tres Leches Cake (Three Milk). I've tried a few recipes and we have one that we REALLY like. This weekend I wanted to try a new recipe. We decided that this one is a close second.


Tres Leches Cake
http://www.landolakes.com/
The Line Up
1 (18/25 oz) package white cake mix with pudding
1 c whipping cream
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
2 TBSP white cacao flavored liqueur
1/2 c milk
1 (2.8 oz) package chocolate mousse mix
1 TBSP white cacao-flavored liqueur

The Game Plan
Heat oven to 350. Spray 13x9" baking pan with no stick cooking spray; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into prepared pan. Bake as directed on package until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; Cool 10 minutes in pan.
Meanwhile, in large mixer bowl, combine cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and 2 TBSP liqueur. Beat at medium speed until well mixed.
Poke holes all over surface of cake. Slowly pour milk mixture over cake until completely soaked. Cover; refrigerate 3 hous or over night.
In medium bowl, combine 1/2 c milk, mousse mix and 1 TBSP liqueur. Mix well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. stir mousse mixture. Pipe with pastry bag or dollop with spoon onto each serving of cake.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I used Pillsbury's Supreme Moist Classic White cake mix. It was the only one I could find that said it had pudding. I don't know why, but initially I was looking for a cake mix like the brownie mixes that come with Hershey's syrup... a separate package of pudding! I'll tell you, this cake mix isn't like that! The pudding powder mix is IN the cake mix!
Also - I didn't have any white cacao liqueur so I used Kaluha instead! :) Just a little something I happened to have on hand.
This version of Tres Leches was quick and easy to make. I definite keeper for those days that I decide I want to make Tres Leches, but don't want to spend all day doing so.
The version we like just that much better will be posted at a later date! For now, give this one a try and I bet it's a hit at your house!

Final Score
Coach -  Triple
Catcher - Triple
The All-Star - what does he care? He got cake and Catcher's home made hot chocolate before bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template