Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

If there is one thing that I absolutely love ... it's French dip sandwiches. If I am at a restaurant and I see French dips on the menu, I might as well not even look at the rest of the menu. So often I will go into a restaurant, where I always order French dip, and I'll think "I'm going to order something different today." When the waiter/waitress gets to the table and it's my turn to order I feel like a deer in headlights and I say "French dip sandwich please". It is how I "judge" a restuarant I have never been to... how good is their French dip?
Needless to say, I was SUPER excited when I came across this recipe to make my OWN French dip sandwiches. It's easy, just a few ingredients and delicious!!

French Dip Sandwiches
The Line Up
1 large onion, sliced thin
3 lb bottom round roast
1/2 c dry white wine (I use Paul Masson or Carlo Rossi Chablis) or 1/2 c water
1 packet au jus mix
2 c beef broth (I use 2 14 oz cans because we like a LOT of broth)
hoagie (steak, submarine etc) rolls
Butter
sliced provalone cheese

The Game Plan
Place onion in bottom of slow cooker.
Add roast.
Pour on au jus mix, wine & broth. Cover.
Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 10-12 hours. Remove meat, place on plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.
Butter the hoagie rolls and place under the broiler just long enough to toast them.
Top with meat and cheese (broil again if desired to melt the cheese)
Serve with a cup/bowl of au jus for dipping.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I don't even know what to say about this recipe... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it... I eat it for dinner the night I make it, and have some more for lunch. Often I'll shred up the left over roast (I never get it to "slice" it always just falls apart , but it's ok, I love it!) and put it in the au jus... add some flour or corn starch to thicken it up and serve it over egg noodles to get a different meal out of the left overs. For my family of 3 there is generally enough for 2 meals of sandwiches and 2 meals of beef & noodles!! If you freeze it before thickening it.. it saves perfectly!

Final Score
Coach -  do I really need to tell you that this is a home run for me?
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run - he has always liked the sandwich, but has never been enthused about the dip. Tonight he tried the dip for the first time in a few years and was sooo happy with it, I thought he was going to ask for a mug of au jus alone!!

4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for this recipe! Brian is also a fan of French Dip sandwiches, so I am definitely going to try this recipe. I am so excited, you just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy it! I have been making it for about 10 years and absolutely love it... never get sick of it.
    I can't remember where I was recently, but I ordered their French Dip and hardly ate it. I kept thinking "Mine is SO much better!" And it's so easy! Literally dump dump dump. The only "work" involved is slicing the onions.
    PS - You're WELCOME BRIAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a hit at our house...easy to make, yummy to smell all day :) Best compliment is when your kids say "mom, this is a great meal"!
    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template