Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chicken with Lemon-Mushroom Sauce

This was a quick meal that we had earlier this week. AND... I got to use my new meat mallet!! So therapeutic! I believe I will begin using it weekly!


Chicken with Lemon-Mushroom Sauce
Better Homes & Gardens Dinner on the Double - 1996
The Line Up
4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 c chicken broth
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP dry white wine
2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
1 TBSP cold water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 TBSP snipped fresh parsley

The Game Plan
Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Place each breast half, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from the center to edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet until 1/8 inch thick. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Spray an unheated 12-inch skillet with nonstick spray. Preheat the skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in hot skillet for 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once. Transfer chicken to a serving platter, cover and keep warm.
Add broth, lemon juice and, if desired, wine to skillet. Stir in mushrooms. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir together cold water and cornstarch; add to mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling, cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in parsley.
Spoon over chicken.

Coach's Post Game Conference
If there's one thing I've noticed it's that recipes never make as much "sauce" as our team likes. I always end up doubling (or more) the sauce recipe, as I did here. Served over egg noodles

Commercial break
Did I mention that I love my meat mallet??

Final Score
Coach- Triple - I don't think it was as lemon-y as I was expecting it to be. I can fix that next time.
Catcher -  Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run

***edited - please see label disclaimer in "True Confessions" - 11/7/2013***

2 comments:

  1. How do you think this would be without the mushrooms? I would love the mushrooms, but Brian won't touch them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't even touch 'em to pick 'em out!? :)
    I think it would still be good without the mushrooms, though it would definitely be one of those that leaves me feeling that it is "Missing something"
    I always tell The All-Star to pick out the mushrooms and put them on my plate! :) More for mommy!

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template