Sunday, October 10, 2010

Slow Cooker Lasagna

We had lasagna the other night. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it before it had been in for too long and got a bit "dark". It's still edible and still tastes good, so I'll share my secret, just no picture of it (yet)... I just have to remember my own cooking times!

Slow Cooker Lasagna
8 lasagna noodles
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp Italian seasoning
24-36 oz of your favorite marinara sauce (add sauce to make the lasagana how you like it... I like mine more saucy than "thick")
1/3 c water
1 (8 oz) can mushrooms (if desired)
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
garlic powder (to taste)
1/4-1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
2 c shredded mozarella (buy a 3 cup package and use it all)

The Game Plan
Place 1/2 of the lasagna noodles in bottom of GREASED slow cooker
Brown ground beef in saucepan. Drain. Stir in Italian seasoning. Spread 1/2 over noodles in slow cooker. In separate bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, garlic powder & shredded Parmesan cheese. Layer 1/2 of sauce and water, 1/2 of mushrooms, 1/2 of ricotta cheese and 1/2 of mozzarella cheese over beef.
Repeat layers. Cover. Cook on low 5 hours.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I play with the recipe a bit each time I make it. The original recipe didn't have the egg, garlic powder & Parmesan cheese... just a layer of ricotta. I like this addition! I also mix and match the meat. Sometimes I use all ground beef, some times I use ground Italian sausage, sometimes it's ground turkey... sometimes it's a combination of any of the above. It's all up to you.
The most important thing I would like to point out is this: You do NOT need to boil the noodles before making this and you do NOT need to pay extra for the no-boil noodles! Just get regular lasagna noodles, it turns out perfect! (well... unless you cook it on HIGH for 6 hours like I did this week!)

Final Score
Coach -  Home Run (when I make it right!)
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run - he claims to be Garfield... he LOVES lasagna!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template