Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fruity Chicken Salad

Every day I struggle with what to eat for lunch. Usually I end up just eating whatever junk is in the fridge for The All-Star to eat. But not this week... I finally decided to give this recipe a try (I've had it in my recipe box for a few months and keep looking at it and flipping right on past).

Fruity Chicken Salad
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/
The Line Up
1 envelope honey french or Italian salad dressing
1/4 c red wine vinegar
3 c cooked orzo pasta
2 c chopped cooked chicken
1 c red and green seedless grapes
1/2 c thin carrot strips

The Game Plan
Prepare dressing in cruet or small bowl as directed on packet using red wine vinegar for vinegar.
Mix orzo, chicken, grapes and carrot in large bowl. Add 1/2 c of the dressing; toss to mix well. Cover.
Refrigerate salad and remaining dressing at least 2 hours. just before serving, mix in remaining dressing.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I made this with the zesty Italian dressing, only because I couldn't find packets of dry honey French dressing. I would much rather have had it with that, next time, I'll just get a bottle of honey French. I think it would taste a lot better with the honey French. That said... it's REALLY good with the Italian! I think it could use some more grapes and maybe something along the lines of strawberries as well!! I've had a bowl for lunch yesterday and today... and will most likely have some again tomorrow!!
Also - when I looked up the recipe today before sharing - the kraft website has changed it since it was posted in the book I found it in. They just use  3/4 c of bottled Italian dressing (nix the red wine vinegar & dressing mix)

Final Score
Coach -  triple (only because I am so determined that it needed the French dressing)
Catcher  - he hasn't tasted it
The All-Star - also hasn't tasted it
It's ALL MINE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template