Monday, September 13, 2010

Szechuan Beef Fried Rice

The whole Team likes Chinese food and it's something that I haven't attempted yet since taking on this new endeavor. I've had a recipe for Szechuan Beef Fried Rice that I keep looking at. Tonight, I decided was the night to try it out.

I'll be the first to admit, I cannot cook rice. It never turns out right. Catcher, on the other hand, makes rice in his sleep. It's his staple, so I put him in charge of the rice and set off with the rest of the dish. When we were both done, I combined the two and off we went on our trip to the Orient.



Szechuan Beef Fried Rice
The Line Up
1 c uncooked regular long grain white rice
2 c water
1 TBSP oil
1 lb beef flank steak, cut into thin bite-sized strips
3/4 c frozen sweet peas
1/2 c chopped carrots
1/4 c sliced green onions
1/3 c purchased Szechuan stir-fry Sauce
1/2 c chopped peanuts

The Play
Cook rice in water as directed on package.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
Add beef, cook and stir until browned.
Add peas and carrots; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender
Stir in cooked rice, onions and stir-fry sauce. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with peanuts


I had a hard time finding Szechuan stir-fry sauce. I suppose I would have had more look if I had gone to the Asian market my mother is always asking if I've been into. But I found some. Note - it says it's Spicy... I guess that whole truth in advertising thing is starting to catch on. This brand does have a bit of a kick to it!

Final Score
Coach - Triple (only because it was a bit spicier than I expected and because, like all Chinese food, it left me hungry)
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - He gave it a double -- why? Well, because it's got beans and peas in it (some of the peas were in the pod he considered those green beans) some were out of the pod, which he recognized as peas. He said it would be a Home Run if I leave the green stuff off his plate next time!

Recipe from www.pillsbury.com/recipes

1 comment:

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template