Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lasagna Blanca

This recipe caught my eye while I was looking through Better Homes & Garden's One Dish Dinner recipe book from 2004.

Lasagna Blanca
The line up:
1 lb spicy pork sausage
1/2 c chopped green onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 c low fat cottage cheese
1/2 of an 8 oz pkg reduced fat cream cheese
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 (17 oz) pkg frozen no-boil lasagna noodles, thawed
1/2 c chopped fresh mushrooms
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP all purpose flour
1/8 tsp dried taragon
1 c milk

The Play
In a large skillet, cook sausage & green onions until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in 1/4 tsp of the garlic powder and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper.
For filling: In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, 1/2 c of the cheddar cheese, remaining garlic powder and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper.
Spread filling over lasagna noodles, sprinkle with sausage mixture and mushrooms. Roll up each noodle into spiral. Place spirals, seam sides down in greased 2 quart rectangular baking dish. Set aside.
For sauce: In Small saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, tarragon and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper. Add milk. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 c of the cheddar cheese. Pour sauce over spirals
Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered about 10 minutes or until heated through.

Post Game Coach's Press Conference
I have never used no-boil frozen noodles. I use regular noodles that I boil in my electric skillet (perfect fit, and they stay flat) then let them cool. I don't know how many noodles are in a 17 oz pkg of frozen noodles, but I use 6 lasagna noodles, and it comes out perfectly.
The first time I made this we decided it didn't have quite enough sauce so when i made it the second time, I doubled the sauce recipe. I ended up only using about 2/3 of that doubled recipe and it was much better.
I forgot to put the mushrooms in tonight's lasagna, much to my dismay and The All-Stars pleasure! Though the flavor was still good.

Final Score
Coach - Home Run
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I might try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the "trick" to making this one with the right amount of sauce...
    Are you ready for it??


    Here it comes....



    USE THE RIGHT SIZE DISH TO COOK IT IN!!!


    I had been using a 9x13 because that's what lasagna "should" be made in right? Actually more out of habit.
    But I made it earlier this week in a square 2 qt dish... the sauce made with the recipe was PERFECT!! It was awesome! Catcher seemed to think it was a new recipe... said it was SO MUCH better than the "other white lasagna" I've made!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template