Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beef and Mushrooms

On football nights Team Matos needs something that can either be ready quickly, or doesn't require much attention (ie slow cooker meals!). Tonight we went with the slow cooker it is always easy enough to throw that on during the day and have it ready when practice is over. Tonight was a beef night (or so I thought... read on)


Beef and Mushrooms
Fix it and Forget it Cookbook
The Line Up
1 1/2 lb stewing beef cubed
4 oz can mushroom pieces (drained, save liquid)
1/2 clove garlic minced
3 TBSP shortening
1 c hot water
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c sliced onions
1 beef bouillon cube
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp pepper

The Game Plan
Brown meat, mushrooms, garlic and onions in shortening in skillet.
Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, add to meat
stir in mushroom liquid and rest of ingredients. Mix well. Pour into slow cooker. Cover. Cook on high 3 hours or until meat is tender.
Serve over cooked noodles, spaghetti or rice

Coach's Post Game Conference
Ok - lets start off with how I changed the recipe
1) I forgot the garlic
2) I didn't save the mushroom liquid, so I put in 1/2 a can of white wine left from last night's broccoli
3) I put in 1/2 of a decent size yellow onion
4) I grabbed two pieces of meat from the freezer and cubed them myself. 1 piece was 1/2 of a London Broil from the Szechuan Beef and the other was what I thought was a roast. Apparently it was a pork shoulder so we had beef AND pork in tonight's dinner.
I could totally see this recipe over something like a spaghetti squash as well.

Final Score
Coach - Home Run
Catcher - Stand up Home run
The All-Star - claims it's 20 stars... I'm not sure how to translate that into extra base hits so we'll leave it at that! (oh... AND... he didn't complain about it having fungus in it!!)

***edit - please see label disclaimer in "True Confessions" - 11/7/2013

1 comment:

  1. Copied from Fan Chatter for Beckie - technical difficulties prevented her from posting in here. :)

    Excellent! Whole family loved it!!! I added the white wine as you did and instead of browning the meat I just let it cook in the crockpot for about 8hrs on low. Prep time was about 20 min to cut everything up plus another 10 to boil the noodles.

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template