Sunday, December 22, 2013

Slow Cooker Meat Sauce

I've mentioned before that I've found a spaghetti sauce that we like enough to not have to buy canned sauce, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try to find something that might just as yummy as, or even BETTER than that one. So when I saw this one, to use in the crock pot, I decided to give it a try.


Slow Cooker Meat Sauce
Jelly Toast Blog

The Line Up
2 lbs ground Italian Sausage (I used sweet)
1 lb ground chuck
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 bell peppers diced (I used one red, one green)
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 c red wine
1 Parmesan rind (omit for dairy free)
1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh)
kosher salt
black pepper
1/4-1/2 crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)

The Game Plan
In a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot set over medium/high heat, brown sausage and ground chuck. Remove from heat, drain excess fat, and transfer cooked sausage and beef to 6 qt slow cooker.
Return Dutch oven to stove. Heat oven oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and peppers are soft and garlic is fragrent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Coach's Post Game Conference
As we are now dairy free, I left out the Parmesan rind, and didn't have red wine (I drink white!) in the house so I left that out also. Followed everything else as above.
I am usually skeptical of marinara sauces that have bell peppers visible in them as I don't care much for them. But this turned out great! We ate from it twice and have a gallon freezer bag of sauce in the freezer for later!

Final Score
Home Runs all the way around (even from the Rookie - remember, she LOVES all things pasta!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template