Sunday, December 22, 2013

Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce

I     LOVE     MUSHROOMS... Unfortunately for The All Star, he doesn't like them at all. I cook with them ANYWHERE I can, so it should go without saying that I would want to try this recipe when I found it!



Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce

The Line Up
Meatballs
1 lb ground beef (or 50/50 ground beef/ground pork)
2 TBSP sweet chili sauce
1/2 TBSP ground nutmeg
2 TBSP coarse mustard
1/2 tsp white pepper
6 TBSP breadcrumbs
1 TBSP milk (I used canned coconut milk for dairy free)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
butter (I used dairy free/safe butter)

Sauce
10 oz mushrooms
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
1 c beef broth
2 tsp yellow mustard
1/4-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
tobasco to taste
1 TBSP cornstarch (mixed with 3 TBSP beef broth)
1 TBSP butter

The Game Plan
Mix meatball ingredients and shape into balls. Melt butter and brown meatballs. Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside. 
Melt 2nd TBSP of butter in same skillet, add onions and sautè for a minute, then add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add a few drops of tobasco, the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, pepper and parsley, stir and cook for a minute.
Add beef broth, and return meatballs to skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Mix the constarch with 3 TBSP beef broth and pour it into the pan.
Let simmer for a few more minutes and taste to see if more seasoning is needed.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I followed the recipe as listed above (I believe) and served over egg noodles. We were very pleased with the flavor, except we thought the meatballs had too much nutmeg. I now wonder if I did more than 1/2 a TBSP (like maybe 2 TBSP)?? I will have to try it again soon. Regardless, these were great and the few left overs we had were eaten quickly (and happily) for lunch the next day!

Final Score
Coach - Triple (due to the nutmeg issue)
Catcher -  Triple 
The All-Star - Triple
The Rookie - ?? She ate them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template