Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Buckeyes

For many of us buckeye candies are a holiday tradition. This year it was one that I was going to miss out on as we weren't traveling for the holidays and the only person in my family who makes them is my aunt who is over 4 hours away.
I definitely did NOT want to miss out, and I happened to stumble upon a recipe for them in my mother's recipe box a couple months ago.
So The All Star and I set out today to make a batch of buckeyes.



Buckeyes
Mom's recipe box
The Line Up
1 lb of butter - room temperature
2 lbs of creamy peanut butter
3 lbs of powdered sugar
24 oz of chocolate chips
1 bar parrafin wax

The Game Plan
Using hands, combine the first three ingredients and shape into walnut sized balls.
Melt the remaining 2 ingredients in a double boiler and dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate. Place on waxed paper and allow chocolate to set.

(Because this recipe is so short and sweet, I thought I'd share some extra pictures today - please don't mind the All-Star's hair, he refused to allow me to do anything with it before we started this process)





And just a word of warning to those who might also be brave enough to attempt this with a member of the younger set... THIS is what your kitchen will look like when you're done!



Coach's Post Game Conference
The All-Star and I measured out our peanut butter for the mixture with a 1 TBSP measuring spoon, they seemed to be a good size once we decided to NOT include a bit extra over the edges.
We ended up with about 130 buckeyes, and a cup or so of the chocolate left over. I think next time I will cut the recipe in half!

Final Score
What is there to NOT be a hit with this one? Peanut butter, sugar, and chocolate... how can you strike out with that combination?
Yes, this was definitely a home run!!

2 comments:

  1. I love buckeyes. I will definitely have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this today but I will be cutting it in half cause I don't want that many! I'll let ya know how it turns out and will be posting the adventures in my own blog..thanks for all your help!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template