Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Three (or Four) Packet Roast

This recipe has long been a staple in our clubhouse. So much so that I can't believe I haven't already shared it. But I haven't, until NOW!! Tonight's dinner also included fresh croissants from our local bakery. Some things are best left to the professionals!

Three (or Four) Packet Roast
So old I don't remember where it originally came from
The Line Up
1 (2/3 oz) packet Italian dressing mix
1 (1 oz) packet ranch dressing mix
1 (1 1/4 oz) packet brown gravy mix
1 (1 1/4 oz) onion soup mix (optional)
1 roast of choice
1/2 c water (or dry white wine)


The Game Plan
Place Roast in crockpot. Sprinkle mix powders over the roast. Pour on water or wine. Cook 6-8 hours on low.

Coach's Post Game Conference
The recipe above is how I received it. I almost always make the 4 packet roast. I also throw in vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and today parsnips. I tend to go for cheaper cuts of meat when using the crockpot, as they become very tender with this method of cooking, no matter what the cut! (I use rump or bottom round roasts quite frequently) Today I also wanted a bit more gravy (I know... you're SHOCKED)... so I threw in a can of low sodium beef broth. I shared this recipe on Recipezaar (now food.com) quite a while ago and there have been several reviews that it is salty - I find that the vegetables tend to help absorb some of the saltiness.

Final Score
(ALWAYS)
Coach - Home run
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star - Home Run (when his plate does not include vegetables!)

**while this recipe APPEARS to be dairy free looking at the ingredients, in fact, it is not... ranch dressing mix and brown gravy mix both have diary products in them - 11/7/2013**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template