Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spinach Topped Buffalo Chicken

As buffalo chicken is always a hit in our clubhouse, when I saw this one I had to give it a shot.


Spinach Topped Buffalo Chicken
The Line Up
4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4 lb)
1 egg
1/3 c buffalo wing sauce
1/2 c bisquick
2 TBSP cornmeal
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 TBSP vegetable oil
2 TBSP French dressing
2 c packed fresh baby spinach
1/4 c crumbled blue cheese - omit for dairy free

The Game Plan
Between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper, place each chicken breast, smooth side down; gently pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4" thick.
In shallow dish, beat egg and 2 TBSP buffalo wing sauce with whisk. In another shallow dish, stir bisquick mix, cornmeal and italian seasoning. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with bisquick mixture.
In 12" skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook chicken in oil 6-10 minutes, turning once, or until goldenb rown on outside and no longer pink in center.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix remaining buffalo wing sauce and the french dressing. Top each breast with 1/4 c spinach and 1 TBSP cheese. Drizzle each with 2 TBSP dressing mixture.

Coach's Post Game Conference
I leared a secret from a friend regarding pounding meat flat. Rather than putting it between plastic wrap or waxed paper, I put it in a plastic baggie. This way when it slips and slides around it's still in the plastic and I don't have to chase it!
Ok - now for the recipe - would any of my regular readers be surprised to learn that I goofed up the recipe?? Yea, didn't think so! I did! I flubbed it up! I put the whole 1/3 c of buffalo wing sauce in with the egg and had to then use MORE for the dressing!
I wasn't thrilled as I was cooking as all the breading was coming off of the chicken when I flipped it.
In the end, the flavor was pretty good!

Final Score
Coach -  triple
Catcher - Home Run
The All-Star  - Triple (He said it was almost too spicy)

**while this recipe has been tagged as "dairy free" please read all ingredient labels to ensure that your products are, in fact, dairy free - 11/7/2013**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template